Thursday, April 29, 2010

Where have you been?

So much has happened since Christmas. Yes, I shamefully admit I haven't written anything since Christmas. Rather than bombard your screen with excuses, let me give you some highlights.

On March 21, 2010, I married my beloved Sandy Baker. In the months leading up to that day, we had several bridal showers. I attended each one, helping to deflect attention and stress away from her. When it was more her friends, I charmed them. When it was more my friends, she charmed them. Everyone believes that we are made for each other. And I agree!

March 21st was a clear but cold and windy day, so our plan for an outdoor wedding switched to an indoor wedding. The Fort Worth Botanic Gardens allowed us to use our reception hall for the ceremony when I decided it was just too cold to stand outside. Sandy's "dream team" rolled with it and made that room beautiful.

Most people loved how her bouquet was made. Starting with a lily, she walked past a line of children - some family, some friends - and accepted a flower from each of them. The last tied the bouquet together with ribbon. There weren't many dry eyes to be found as this symbol of how important kids are to her unfolded.

The ceremony was short; the words spoken highlighted the covenant we were making. Vows were uttered. Rings were exchanged. And a glorious kiss to seal it all.

With the ceremony in the reception hall, we were thrust into myriad of picture poses. Bridal party. Bride and groom. Bride's family. Groom's family. Children. Co-workers. Pictures with the cake. Of the toast. I was ready to spend time with friends, but the pictures kept going. Of course, I am grateful now that we have such a wonderful log of that day. But in the midst of it, I was ready to shout, "Enough already!"

We honeymooned in Arkansas. A beautiful cabin in the Ozarks. We'll go back there one day. The beautiful, serene landscape helped to remove the stress of wedding planning. Sandy was spent not just from the planning but from all the questions about the wedding. A week secluded all by ourselves was the perfect plan, and we hated to leave when the week was done.

Now we are settled into an apartment. We continue to learn what it means to be married. Considering the other person in decisions. Keeping each other informed of financial matters. Adjusting to habits, schedules, and preferences. But I look back with fondness, seeing how our path was prepared for us. And I know that we will enjoy our life together as Man and Wife for as long as we draw breath. We remind each other often that "I love you, no matter what." And we are committed to working things out when we disagree. But far more often we laugh and love and enjoy one another.

I suppose in the midst of all that, I forgot to write. Perhaps I'll get better about that.

1 comment:

  1. Or perhaps you will stop writing altogether. ;) I was looking for distraction and saw your distracting diary link, thought you might be able to help me. No worries, I'll let you distract me in person later. :)

    Your wife

    ReplyDelete