Monday, August 17, 2009

How Do You Turn a Meteorologist into a Missionary Part 3

I found myself at Florida Christian College the Fall of 1992. I was five years older than the average freshman, and I had no idea where to start. Costs were high, so I only took a few hours each semester. I still remember that first quarter (we changed to semesters later) taking Life of Christ, Planned Preaching, and Prayer Lab, courses that were very different and demonstrated my search for who I was. Several professors and the Academic Dean suggested I go to a seminary, but I was content where I was. After a final wave of exasperation, I was allowed to register for what I wanted.

I soon began to see the foolishness in my strategy that year as I took a wide variety of classes and helped in the area of youth ministry in local churches. I was still trying to find my fit, but so far I was just managing to find all the things I wasn't good at. The obvious lack of a plan was demonstrated when I was encouraged to take Greek my second year by several friends. I had no idea what that would put in motion.

I loved Greek. It was ordered, it made sense, and I excelled at it. It helped that I was only taking one or two other classes with it, so I had lots of time for study and review. Some of my classmates were a bit upset with me, as they were taking full course loads. I went on to take two years of Greek with the same core of guys. Our professor made it clear to us not only how to use Greek to improve preaching, but challenged us to consider how it works with Bible translation, helping to spell out the meanings that are so crucial in communicating to another language and culture. He inspired several of us to pursue Bible translation ministry, and it ultimately led to my decision to become a missionary. I owe a lot to Mike Chambers and those classmates from 15 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment